NC Student Assist Loan - Co-signer
If a student applying for an NC Student Assist Loan is not able to meet the credit
requirements, he or she may request a family member to co-sign his or her loan.
A co-signer accepts equal responsibility for paying back the loan.
The student's family member must complete an application to become a co-signer for an NC Student Assist Loan. The student
must provide the co-signer with the Application ID number from the completed loan application, as well as their last name and
the Requested Loan Amount. The student borrower can find his or her Application ID number by clicking
"Check Status" on NCAssist.org.
- No Fees
- Interest Rate Information
- Borrowing Limits
- Co-signer Requirements
- Information Needed to Apply
The NC Student Assist Loan has no application, origination, or prepayment fees!
Interest Rate Information
The NC Student Assist Loan has a 5.75% fixed interest rate. The loan may be eligible for a .25% reduction if payments are made by automatic draft. The automatic draft benefit will be cancelled in the event a total of 3 consecutive automatic drafts are rejected for insufficient funds.
The student may borrow up to the school's cost of attendance minus other financial aid received.
The aggregate loan limit for the NC Student Assist Loan is $120,000 for undergraduate students and $200,000 for graduate students.
The minimum a student can borrow is $1,000.
We will send the money directly to the school the student is attending.
To co-sign a loan for a student, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a spouse or qualified relative of the student.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be credit-worthy and have the required credit score.
- Guarantee that the student's debt is repaid.
- Accept equal responsibility for paying the debt, including fees and collection costs.
- Understand the student's loan may appear on your credit record.
Information Needed To Apply
In order to make the application process smoother, please have the following information available:
- Borrower's application ID, Borrower's last name, and the amount of the loan the Borrower requested.
- Your date of birth.
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Your Driver's License Number.
- If employed, your employer's information.